Thursday, April 14, 2011

Episode 16 - King of Trios 2011

Before I begin today's epic episode, I very briefly would like to discuss two rather major news stories in the world of professional wrestling. First is the death of Larry Sweeney, and second is the retirement of Edge.

While I never saw Larry Sweeney perform aside from a brief return to CHIKARA in October of last year, I am nonetheless saddened by the news of his passing. The wrestling community has had an outpouring of messages discussing Sweeney and his superb talent. It makes me want to find some old footage of him just to see what everyone is talking about. I read a very heartfelt note from Bryce Remsburg on his Facebook page where he shared a couple of stories of Sweeney, and it made his death hit home just that much more. So even though I never knew Larry Sweeney, either personally or as an entertainer, I will mourn his death like I do all the wrestling names that mean something to me. Rest in peace, Mr. Sweeney. You will be missed.

Just a few days later, the wrestling world lost another of its best talents. Adam Copeland, better known as Edge, retired on Monday. He cited a very serious medical condition as one of the big factors for his retirement. But while I am saddened to hear about his sudden retirement, I am extremely happy for him at the same time. Edge has done what very few people can claim to have done: he is an 11-time world champion and has held over 30 WWE titles over his career. He was one of the longest-tenured WWE wrestlers as of Monday, and is one of the very few people to span both the Attitude Era and the current PG Era. His retirement will leave a huge opening for a new main eventer, and I truly hope that WWE doesn't completely fuck this situation up.

Okay, now that the big news items are out of the way, it's time for the biggest tournament in wrestling history: CHIKARA's King of Trios 2011! The build for this tournament has been nothing short of outstanding, and with talents from all over the world, this should prove to be one of the best wrestling shows of the year, hands down. King of Trios 2010 is what got me into CHIKARA in the first place, and it's going to be a great one-year anniversary for me, that's for sure.

Since most of the matches over the three-day extravaganza will be determined by matches from Night One, it's going to be very difficult to do any sort of predictions as to who will win what matches on Nights Two and Three. But, thanks to CHIKARA's website, I can at least speculate who I think will be involved in the matches already announced. But first, let's look at the 16 three-man teams involved in King of Trios, as well as the first-round match-ups.

Team Dragon Gate (Akira Tozawa, KAGETORA, and Super Shisa) - Sadly, I meant to prepare myself for this show by watching matches with every member of every team, but thanks to being very busy for the past week, I was unable to do so. However, I know for a fact that Akira Tozawa is an outstanding athlete, having competed at last year's Young Lion's Cup (where he was the last man eliminated in Night One's semi-final match), and putting on what I would consider the match of the night at Dragon Gate USA's Mercury Rising 2011 iPPV event two weeks ago against PAC. The Dragon Gate style of wrestling isn't exactly my favorite type of wrestling, but I cannot doubt that these three competitors are all very talented.

vs.

The Spectral Envoy (UltraMantis Black, Hallowicked, and Young Lion's Cup Champion Frightmare) - It would appear that the long-standing feud between Mantis and Hallowicked has been called off for the present, as UMB continues his war with Sinn Bodhi and the Dark Army. Mantis and Hallowicked are part of CHIKARA's first graduating class of wrestlers, and the experience they have will for sure factor in. Tack on the frenetic Frightmare, and you've got a very formidable team. And since this is a first round match, I think I'm going to have to give the win to The Spectral Envoy, if only because I really want to see them tangle with the Dark Army later in the tournament.

Team Australia (Kabel, Percy T., and Tama Williams) - I know nothing about any of these guys, and considering who they're facing in round one, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a quick exit.

vs.

F.I.S.T. (Icarus, Chuck Taylor, and Johnny Gargano) - We haven't seen F.I.S.T. team up since January, where they lost to the seemingly unbeatable Osirian Portal. Since then, Icarus has gone on a pretty strong singles run. But with the group united once more, I can't imagine them losing in the first round. However, I still wonder what has happened to the former third member of this team, Gran Akuma, who has not appeared in CHIKARA in quite some time. However, unless he shows up on Friday, I cannot see F.I.S.T. losing in round one. Therefore, I am picking F.I.S.T. to win this match and move on.

Team Michinoku Pro (The Great Sasuke, Jinsei Shinzaki, and Dick Togo) - Michinoku Pro was one of the puroresu promotions hit hardest by the disasters in Japan. For a while, Shinzaki was living out of his car, having lost both his home and his business. So this team is, by far, my sentimental pick to win the whole thing. This team has nearly 60 years of wrestling experience. That's SIXTY. No other team in this tournament can even come close to that number. And all three of these guys can go like nobody's business. Expect nothing less than a stellar performance from this team.

vs.

Team Minnesota (Arik Cannon, Darin Corbin, and the 1-2-3 Kid) - Were these guys not facing Michinoku Pro in the first round, I would have considered them a favorite to move to at least Saturday's show. Arik Cannon is pretty darn good for a guy his size, and even though he's getting up there in age, you can't discount Sean Waltman. Why he's bringing back the 1-2-3 Kid gimmick I do not know, but hopefully it'll be entertaining. I just hope Scott Hall's latest relapse won't keep Waltman from focusing on this match, because if I had a friend who fell off the wagon for the hundredth time, I'd probably be concerned for him as well. Anyway, though this team has its strong points, there's no way they're defeating the sentimental favorite. Team Michinoku Pro wins.

The Colony (Soldier Ant, Fire Ant, and Green Ant) - This match, along with the next, will be the toughest to predict winners. The Colony are, believe it or not, one of the most experienced trios in this year's tournament, having teamed together for about two years now. Green Ant is also getting his own little storyline wherein it is alleged that after his arm was broken over Young Lion's Cup weekend, some sort of super-strong rod was placed in his arm, granting him powers similar to that of Lex Luger. Only instead of a steroid-laden ex-bodybuilder, Green Ant is a (somewhat) gangly young man. The Colony made it to the finals last year, but I'm not so sure they'll make it back this year considering who their opponents are.

vs.

The Dark Army (Sinn Bodhi, Obariyon, and Kodama w/Kobald) - Bodhi and UltraMantis Black had a vicious fight last month, resulting in Mantis' mask being nearly torn off his face. I think it's safe to say that The Dark Army is no laughing matter, whatever Bodhi's in-ring gear and antics may say to the contrary. The Batiri continue to improve in the ring, and with Bodhi at the helm, they may end up going pretty far. This will definitely be one of the highlights of Night One, as both teams are very talented. But in the end, I think we're going to see another showdown between The Dark Army and the Spectral Envoy. Against my better judgment, I'm going with The Dark Army to win over The Colony. You heard it right here: last year's runner's up are going out in the first round. Yikes.

Bruderschaft des Kreuzes (Tim Donst, Delirious, and Jakob Hammermeier) - With last year's KoT winners sitting this tournament out (saying they have nothing to prove this year), it falls to Tim Donst and Co. to take on the challenge of making the BDK back-to-back King of Trios winners. But Donst might be a bit hampered by his choice of teammates. It seems that, with most of the rest of the BDK losing their matches as of late, Donst has turned to the unstable, unpredictable Delirious, and the only undefeated member of the BDK (and their ring announcer), Jakob Hammermeier. While I did find Hammermeier's antics last month rather hilarious (announcing himself, then running back behind the curtain and re-entering the arena as though someone had just announced his name), his in-ring debut was less than impressive. He all but lost to Green Ant, save for several other members of the BDK costing Green Ant the victory. Whether or not Hammermeier can prove himself remains to be seen, but he's going to get one hell of a test against the next team.

vs.

Da Soul Touchaz (Marshe Rockett, Acid Jaz, and Willie Richardson) - One could say that Da Soul Touchaz are one of the best trios in the world right now. And they still are looking for retribution after the BDK took out DST's manager and valet several months ago. Last month, all three members of Da Soul Touchaz lost their matches to members of the BDK, and I would think that this will only fuel the fire of this feud to new heights. I am really hoping for a spot with Willie Richardson and Jakob Hammermeier...a Pounce, maybe? And I really want Da Soul Touchaz to gain a small measure of revenge against the BDK. But I smell interference, be it from other members of the BDK or a crooked referee. Either way, The BDK wins and moves on.

"Lightning" Mike Quackenbush, Jigsaw, and Manami Toyota - Quackenbush and Jigsaw have been pretty good champions since December, and adding Japanese joshi legend Manami Toyota to the mix will only strengthen their chances of winning. Oh, they probably won't win it all, but damn it if they won't put on one hell of a show. Unfortunately, it looks like their first round match will be kind of an easy match to pick.

vs.

Amazing Red and The Maximos (Joel and Wil) - Sadly, I've only heard of Amazing Red. But, with a quick search of Wikipedia, it appears that Red is the cousin of Joel and Wil Maximo, and they've been working together for quite some time in CZW and ROH, among other places. Red is a great performer, and I look forward to this match. But the result is about as predictable as they come. QuackSawYota win this match.

¡3.0lé! (Scott Parker, Shane Matthews, and El Generico) - This team gets the nod for BEST TAG TEAM NAME EVAR! Scott Parker and Shane Matthews team up with El Generico, and damn it all if this team isn't formidable. 3.0 has been embroiled in a feud with The UnStable, including a very awkward-looking segment last month where it looked like Vin Gerard was threatening a female fan and Shane Matthews took it upon himself to bash Gerard's head in and get the fan out of the arena. It looked like a shoot, but I have no idea if it was. No matter. This is another case where, were the team these guys are to face not a lock for the finals, I'd consider them a pretty good threat to make it deep into the tournament. Generico is better than ever, and this team could be great. But their opponents might be the best trio in wrestling today.

vs.

The Osirian Portal (Amasis, Ophidian, and Hieracon) - This team has not lost in five months. Think about that for a minute. When was the last time you saw someone not lose anything for five months? It just doesn't happen anymore. Not only are they arguably one of the most popular trios in the world, but they're one of the most talented. Hieracon is getting better every month, and might be the catalyst for the Portal moving to the elite level of tag team wrestling. You can bet that Ophidian won't be available to defend the Rey de Voladores title he won last year, because The Osirian Portal will win this match and go all the way to the finals.

Team Osaka Pro (Atsushi Kotoge, Daisuke Harada, and Ultimate Spider, Jr.) - Osaka Pro's team (with Tadasuke instead of Ultimate Spider, Jr.) made it to the semi-finals of last year's tournament. Kotoge and Harada were thoroughly impressive in their matches last year. But will the addition of Ultimate Spider, Jr. (who, incidentally, has one of the most awesome names ever) mean success or doom for this team? Well, let's take a look at their opponents.

vs.

The Throwbacks (Sugar Dunkerton, Dasher Hatfield, and MATT CLASSIC) - Sorry, I had to capitalize MATT CLASSIC's name because I'm so hyped to see him back in CHIKARA after a year-long absence that I may just pee myself a little. Aside from having a deliciously punny name, Classic is one of my favorite characters in all of wrestling. And I really, REALLY want to see more than one match with MATT CLASSIC. So, again, against my better judgment, I'm picking The Throwbacks to win this match.



Aside from these matches, there are only four other matches that aren't Trios matches, and only two of them have any confirmed participants. Archibald Peck of The Band has issued an open challenge, and on Saturday he will face...someone. We don't know who. More than likely, he will face either someone whose trio lost at Night One or another member of the CHIKARA roster. Whoever he faces, I'd expect Peck to get a severe beating. Maybe El Generico? I'd love to see that.

Also, Eddie Kingston has issued an open challenge, and that match will take place on Sunday. Whoever he faces will probably get a face full of fist, as Kingston is likely furious after his controversial loss to Claudio Castagnoli last month. It took seven people and an arm wrapped in steel chain to down Kingston. So this should be a royal beatdown if ever there was one. Kingston wins, no matter who he faces.

We're also getting the return of the Rey de Voladores tournament. Last year, Ophidian won. He won't be back to defend his title. Expect several guys who lost their Night One matches to appear, as well as some other indy favorites. Matt Cross won't be back, as he's probably at this point under a WWE contract. But look out for other high-flyers to appear. This should be a great mini-tournament as well.

And finally, we have the Ten-Team Tag Team Gauntlet Match, which last year had some truly memorable moments (the return of Dragon Dragon, for example). I'd think most of the teams who lost either of the last two nights to show up, as well as at least one unexpected team. As to who wins? I have no earthly idea. But whoever wins will gain points towards challenging for the Campeonatos de Parejas.

Now, I can't end this episode without predicting a winner of the King of Trios tournament. I have no idea how the brackets will be set up for Nights Two and Three, so there's no telling who will be facing who, when. But if I had to pick two teams to go to the finals, I would have to go with Michinoku Pro and The Osirian Portal. The Portal because they've been on a tear for five months, and Michinoku Pro because everyone wants them to win after the devastation in Japan. And I think that, after last year's fiasco, CHIKARA wants the fans to go home happy. And in this case, the fans will go home happy no matter which team wins. If Michinoku Pro wins, then the sentimental favorite has overcome all the odds and won the most prestigious tag team tournament in wrestling history. If The Osirian Portal wins, it means that their legacy has been solidified and they can build upon this victory to become one of the best three-man tag teams of all time. If you asked me to pick a winner, however, I think that having a team who can appear every month would help the company overall, and while I'm sure a lot of people would want to see Michinoku Pro win, I'm picking The Osirian Portal to win the King of Trios tournament. But I would expect the Portal to show the utmost respect to Michinoku Pro after the match, as they are three true legends of the business.

I am looking forward to King of Trios 2011. I'm looking forward more to the DVD releases. I wish I could have attended the show this year, but that was not to be. Maybe next year...

So that's it for this mammoth episode. Stay tuned for a Wrestlemania recap (I swear I'll get around to it), and some reviews of other shows I watched that were far more entertaining. Until next time, I'll see you next time. Yes, I actually meant to type that.

No comments:

Post a Comment