Friday, April 1, 2011

Episode 14 - The Busiest of Weekends

Man, you want to talk about a crazy weekend for wrestling? This will probably be the craziest of the year. Even crazier than King of Trios 2011. And to celebrate my new-found indy-pendence, I've ordered not one, not two, but THREE wrestling shows that will take place this weekend. And no, Wrestlemania (or should I say Entertainmentmania) isn't one of them. No, I took the plunge and have bought the two Ring of Honor iPPV shows and the one available Dragon Gate USA iPPV. Since this is my first foray into the realm of iPPV, I am both giddy and a little cautious. This will be the first ROH show I've watched live, but I've heard from many people about the problems they've had in the past with their iPPV carrier, GoFightLive. However, since the two shows cost $20 TOTAL, I could not pass up this opportunity. Also, I've wanted to watch a DGUSA show since their first Enter the Something Gate show, which I had the pleasure of watching. I'd like to take a quick look at some of the big matches coming up this weekend.

The Kings of Wrestling (Claudio Castagnoli and Chris Hero) vs. Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team (Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin) - Today, these two titans of the tag team world will collide for the ROH World Tag Team Championships. Seeing as how both Castagnoli and Hero are two of the best wrestlers in the world, I think that Haas and Benjamin have their work cut out for them. But this is a dream match for plenty of indy fans, I'm sure. This could very well be the match of the night tonight.

Eddie Edwards (World Champ) vs. Christopher Daniels (TV Champ) - The main event of Friday's show (at least it's listed that way) pits the new ROH World Champion against the Fallen Angel in what should be one hell of a match. These two went to a time limit draw in February which I imagine must have been off the chain. And now they're locking up for the World Title...damn.

Colt Cabana vs. Dave Taylor (Saturday) - If this is the same Dave Taylor who worked for WWE a few years back, this should be one hell of a show. Cabana is the NWA World Heavyweight Champion, and Taylor is one of the grizzliest veterans you will find out there. I'll definitely be looking forward to this match.

The American Wolves (Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards) vs. Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team (Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin) - If Friday's Tag Team Title match wasn't a dream match for the IWC, this, no doubt, will be. I recently watched PWG's 2010 opener, Kurt Russelmania (which is one of my favorite show titles ever), and Davey Richards fought Kevin Steen in what I would call the match of the night. All four of these guys can go like whoa, and I cannot wait to see this match tomorrow.

CIMA, Naruki Doi, and Ricochet vs. Chuck Taylor, Johnny Gargano, and Rich Swann (DGUSA, Saturday) - Holy crap is about all I can say. While I miss Ricochet in CHIKARA (where he wore a mask and was known as Helios), I'm glad he's still working. CIMA and Doi speak for themselves. Taylor and Gargano are 2/3 of F.I.S.T., and Swann took Frightmare to the limit in February. I cannot wait for this epic trios match.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to every match of all three shows. These are just the ones that I REALLY want to see. And since today's ROH show will be starting in about two and a half hours, I think it's best that I wrap this up now instead of blathering on for another six or seven pages. I'll be back with reviews of all three shows, as well as my farewell WWE review, very soon. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment