Monday, July 18, 2011

Mini-Episode RE: Money in the Bank

I don't have time for a full episode, but I must say something about the events of last night's Money in the Bank PPV show. I read the results of the show and, upon finding out how the show ended, as well as the results of two other matches, I found myself having to watch the show. So I *AHEM* "acquired" it and watched those three matches. I will say now that I was absolutely surprised at the results even though I had read them already. Those three matches? The Smackdown Money in the Bank match (which I predicted Mr. Danielson would win), the World Heavyweight Championship match, and, of course, the WWE Title match. While I definitely want to see what transpires on Smackdown, I have to say that ever since I started watching wrestling again in 2006, I have never been more curious as to how a storyline plays out than I am with the CM Punk story. Punk defeated Cena, won the WWE Title, and avoided being put in a match with the Raw Money in the Bank match winner, Alberto Del Rio. So Punk actually accomplished what he set out to do, something I doubt anyone who wasn't completely in the know could have predicted.

What really amazes me is how much this has pulled me back into watching WWE programming. I've been on such a WWE-hate trip for the past couple of years that it's oddly refreshing to look forward to Raw or Smackdown. I still cannot stand Michael Cole, and there were times where I was finding myself falling back into my old ways of yelling at the computer screen when Cole said something idiotic, breaking my concentration on the match and taking me out of the moment. But I'm going to watch Raw for the first time since February. Yes, that means I'm going back on my statement of never watching a WWE show again. But when you've got a story this intriguing that captures your interest as much as this does, I can't help but tune in.

On a side note, the Punk/Cena match will definitely be a Match of the Year candidate. Not just because it was a great match, but because the story surrounding it is fascinating and as entertaining as any WWE storyline over the past five years.

So I'm watching Raw. I'm hoping that the CM Punk story remains strong. If it does, I may finally change my opinion of Vince McMahon. Maybe he's finally evolving out of his draconian mental view of the sport. I sure hope so. Tonight might be a new dawn for pro wrestling. And if it is, I'm going to ride the wave, baby. Catch you all later.

P.S.: I loved the Chicago crowd chanting "Colt Cabana!" That, and the ridiculous pops Punk got throughout the match. It made the match just that much better. Okay, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment