Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Episode 18 - "The Look"

Wow, it's been quite some time since I wrote anything that isn't a picks or results episode, hasn't it? I think the last one was the end of year awards. Damn, five months without any really original content? I feel bad. Anyway, this episode could not have happened without the help of one JJ Sexay of the SNS Radio Network. So I have to thank him for that.

You see, last night, I was listening to Wrestling News Live, which I try to catch every Monday night (and you should too, because it's a damn good show). And near the end of the show, the hosts, JJ and Trey, were discussing WWE Smackdown and Christian's two-day World Title reign, when JJ made the following (paraphrased) statement: "Christian wouldn't fit as a World Champion because he doesn't have 'The Look.'" He went on to discuss how Christian wouldn't be a believable World Champion because he is "smaller" than most of the guys he'd end up facing (Sheamus, Mark Henry, etc.), and if he packed on some muscle, he'd be a more believable champion. I nearly blew a gasket hearing that. Now, JJ has been in the industry and stated that he "knows how the business works." But I cannot agree with that sentiment.

You see, as I've been hearing many times over the past couple of weeks, wrestling is a subjective business. Some people perceive it one way, others will perceive it however they want. And it's obvious that JJ and I do not perceive wrestling the same way. It's almost as though he's been brainwashed like so many people have into thinking that the most believable champions are the guys who look like they've spent half their lives in a gym and the other half purchasing steroids. Vince McMahon's "ideal" wrestler (oh, sorry, I mean ENTERTAINER) is tall, tan, and buff. If a guy isn't 6'4", 275 pounds, and has testicles the size of raisins, you can bet that he won't get much of a push at all, let alone a World Title reign that lasts more than three weeks. And don't start with the whole, "But John Cena's only billed at 240, so your argument is flawd HURF DURF." Cena is a former bodybuilder, and he sells merchandise like there's no tomorrow, so of course he's going to be at the top of the company. He still has most of "The Look" that Vince seems to have a perma-boner for. And when there are guys like Mason Ryan, who can't work a five minute match to save his life, on TV every week, but guys like Primo are relegated to the C-show at best, you know something is wrong with the company.

To me, wrestling should emphasize feats of athleticism over feats of strength, intelligence over brawn, memorable characters instead of memorable physiques. That's why I love CHIKARA: they entertain the fans through excellent wrestling, not soap opera-style storytelling that ends up making no sense and never having a proper conclusion. But the main reason I love CHIKARA is that just about anyone who wants to be in the ring can be in the ring. Look at Eddie Kingston. The guy looks like Joe Schlub, a true everyman. Yet I consider him to be the best wrestler in the world today because he has the three characteristics I mentioned earlier: intelligence, athleticism, and charisma. He doesn't have to look like he was chiseled out of granite to be entertaining, because he entertains through his in-ring work. Kingston is a master of telling a story in the ring, and he can work with anyone and have a good match. When you look at the competition he's had over the last year (Christopher Daniels, Bryan Danielson, Tommy Dreamer, Homicide, El Generico, Claudio Castagnoli, Akira Tozawa, etc.), that is one of the most diverse resumes in the entire world. Yet he always has a good match. And the last thing you think about when you watch one of his matches is, "Oh, man, that guy does not LOOK like World Champion material."

The point I'm trying to make here (in case you haven't gotten it already) is that it does not matter whether or not you have the Vince McMahon prototypical bodybuilder physique. If you can entertain the fans, you can be a credible World Champion. Christian is one of the most popular WWE guys with the fans, has a distinctive look, and has the Big Three traits. But you're discounting him as a World Champion just because he doesn't weigh 250 pounds? That's ludicrous.

I will mention that in the chatroom I said something to the effect of, "Size should not discount someone from being a World Champion." To which JJ retorted, "Well, what about Hornswoggle as a champ?" I did not reply to that, because it is an asinine statement to mane, but I will respond here: If Dylan Postl (the man who portrays Hornswoggle) were not burdened with a galactically stupid gimmick and given proper training, then even he could be considered World Champion material. At least, in theory he could be. Unfortunately, I have no idea if he has the Big Three traits, as his gimmick has all but cursed him out of ever being taken seriously in the business. By JJ's logic, guys like Bryan Danielson, Evan Bourne, and Yoshi Tatsu will never be credible or believable World Champions. Just because someone doesn't fit YOUR ideal "Look" doesn't mean that they don't fit everybody's ideal of what a World Champion can be.

With all that being said, I bear no grudge against Mr. Sexay or anyone at the SNS Radio Network. I am a loyal listener, and this will not stop me from listening to their shows for as long as I care to. I just felt like I really needed to get this off my chest before I either exploded or forgot what I was going to write about. If you don't like my opinion, then we can agree to disagree. Opinions are like assholes: everyone has one. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Well, I feel a lot better now. Thanks for reading, and I'll be back soon with picks for CHIKARA's Anniversario weekend spectacular!

No comments:

Post a Comment